Pages

Monday, June 27, 2011

walnut cigars

Basically, I've ended up making Ms. Elegant Baklava's odd hotdog-shaped cousin. Wuh wuuh.

Blog-checking lines: Erica of Erica’s Edibles was our host for the Daring Baker’s June challenge. Erica challenged us to be truly DARING by making homemade phyllo dough and then to use that homemade dough to make Baklava.

phyllo pastry dough

Phyllo pastry made at home? Ho hum I don't think it's possible for me to do it! I mean, I got the pastry rolled out quite thin but I was too scared to roll it out even further in case it tore. Anyhow, because it was thicker than normal, I decided to use it for a baklava derivitive that likes a thicker pastry: walnut cigars. I used a recipe straight out of the awesome book, Warm Bread and Honey Cake by Gaitri Pagrach-Chandra.


I made the baklava at night (so not many photos) so I'm posting a pic of a toilet with a garden on its roof! The doors also said 'see you again' under a painting of a boomerang. Super cute! But I seemed to be the only one who thought so...

Check out the gorgeous creations from my fellow Daring Bakers!

9 comments:

  1. I love the idea of the baklava cigars so cute fabulous work on this challenge well done.

    Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, your baklava rolls look so great!! Very well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those baklava cigars are awesome! I wouldn't have thought to create rolls and your look so fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Miri
    I like your baklava, but I love the toilet!! So cute and a great idea- don;t you hate night food photography?

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are like little eggrolls of baklava, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great creation! I very much so want to try these! Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was initially going to make cigars, and now, since I only managed three, messy sheets, I should have.,.since I could have gotten a decent amount of cigars out of them, and the rolling would hav gid the tears. Yours look amazing..they're perfect! BTW..love the name of your blog..the wordplay with your name..awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! Well done on the challenge. I was scared to roll my dough out too thin too. It ended up tearing a bit anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love that shape! (and the living roof)

    ReplyDelete

If you've got any ideas or comments, I'd love to hear from you!